Quality time with the Spousal Unit... don't blink!

Monday, May 19, 2008

Got Jersey?





I am amazed to see the response to this silly blog in just the last 2 days! It is nice to know that others can relate to my stories...

One story , though, that I hope I NEVER have to relate to is the story of a man by the name of Eldon Nelson and his wife, Susan. Eldon is a cyclist in Utah and a father of 4.

I came across his blog, Fatcyclist , around Christmas time when I was perusing the internet for bike-related Christmas gifts for Husband. I have since followed his blog, and was heartbroken 2 weeks ago to read his entry, http://www.fatcyclist.com/2008/05/01/like-dandelion-seeds/and then, Has It Only Been One Day?

As a mom, my heart went out to his wife, Susan. As a daughter, my belly knotted as I recalled getting the news last year that my father had cancer.
As a spouse, I could not imagine having to face life without Husband.

Eldon, in conjunction with TwinSix, has designed and produced Fat Cyclist jerseys. They go on sale today. You can get them in Orange and Black, and Pink and Black. He is dedicating each and every penny from the sale of these jerseys to offsetting the cost of travel for family to spend time with Susan, medical expenses, and to buy Susan whatever she wants.

I read Stormyworld's blog last night, and scrolled down through the posts. I was so happy to see that he also had heard about Fat Cyclist.

It makes me want to to do something more than buy a jersey. ( In fact, I'm buying 2 ...one for me, one for our oldest spawn...we are entering a sprint tri this summer and are going to do it in honor of Susan. )
The shirts go on sale today...GO GET ONE. And as Stormyworld says, if you can't affort the 70 dollars for the jersey, there is a button on Fat Cyclist's site where you can donate what you wish via paypal.

Maybe it would be cool to make up some humorous Bike Widow t-shirts and sell them...with proceeds going to the Lance Armstrong Foundation to help aid in fight against Cancer....and to find a cure for that nasty disease.
What do you think? If there is interest, I'll do it.

I put a poll up ....vote!

1 comment:

UltraRob said...

I've been reading the Fat Cyclist for a long time. Funny thing is I've taken a picture of his bike lying on the start line at the Leadville 100, taken pictures of him racing the Leadville 100 and raced at the same time as him but never really met him.

The thing about Susan's cancer that is the kids. I have a 3 and 5 year old and I can't imagine having to tell them that Mommy may die.

Check out this post for another way to help the Fat Cyclist's family.